Sunday, February 20, 2011

The International Appeal

Here's a question, have you ever checked out the label on a product to see where it was made before deciding on purchasing a product? The answer, is most likely a yes. If you have not, I am sure at some point of your life you probably have heard things like "do not buy Malaysian products!" or "Indonesian products don't last long" or "China products can kill you!"

Having said that, it is a pretty obvious that consumers (well at least Asian consumers) judge a product from the country they were made. To Asians, European/Western products are ALWAYS better from their local products. I have to admit I have the same kind of mentality as well...many times I felt so accomplished finding an MNG sweater that says it is made in Germany or a Zara top that is made in Hungary or what not, eventhough I really do not know how much better the workmanship in Germany or Hungary compared to China but it is perceived to be better just cause it is European made. This my friend, is the "International Appeal".



The same reason above, is the reason why many local companies have incorporated this "International Appeal" in it's products, especially F&B outlets. No doubt, a western/european restaurant is much associated with class rather than a locally named restaurant. If I were to go out on a date, I would rather have my boyfriend bring me to some western restaurant than..say, Little Penang. Just cause, it feels more classy (eventhough the food in Little Penang may be better).



So, I have done some research on famous restaurants in Malaysia that has cleverly incorporated this "International Appeal" to it's customers. The easiest tactic : Name your shop after some town/city/country from the other side of the world.





Case No 1: The Manhattan Fish Market

"Manhattans seafood culinary delights" - Oh really? Well, not really. This outlet is in fact a Made-in-Malaysia product (show of hand - how many of you who did not know this fact just got turned off cause you just found out it is Malaysian made? Oh that's right, all of you). It is owned by Revenue Valley Sdn Bhd and is nowhere established in 1822 (another clever tactic, claim that your restaurant is damn old, because people associate old restaurants with traditional recipes with associates to better tasting food). Of course, there is a real Manhattan Fish Market which is a real fish market in America, and not a restaurant. So if you're wanting to look for this in Manhattan, you'll probably end up in a fish market...



While doing my google search on this outlet, I even came across people refering to this as an "American Restaurant". So, I must say, they've done a good job with the "International Appeal" tactic! Bravo!




Case No 2: San Francisco Steakhouse


Shocked??? Well, I was when I first found out this had nothing to do with San Francisco few years ago! In fact, they are established by our very own Tai Thong Group. Jeng jeng jeng!






Case No 3: San Francisco Coffee


What?! Another fake San Francisco outlet! Yes, that is right. No doubt their coffee is good but what helped them pick up business is probably their name. Coffee is usually associated with western countries and by using an American name, it helps them to be able to position themselves on the higher end market within the range of Starbucks, Coffee Bean and so on (which translates to higher profit margin).




In comparison, coffee brands associated with our own local name (ie: Old Town Kopitiam) has no choice but to charge a lower price because it is not associated as a premium product. If they ever do so, they will be losing their customers because people will start thinking "why should I pay so much for Malaysian made coffee, when I can get Starbucks for the same price?". So do take note, Old Town Kopitiam, I just offered you free marketing advice :D



Case No 4: Paddington House of Pancakes


I remember this being a big hit when it first launched in One Utama. Once again, this is not established in Paddington, UK. The recipes were however, from Paddington (according to their website) and the founders decided to open up an outlet in Asia since there is no specialty stores for pancakes in Asia at that point of time. I still have not found out who the founders are but my guess is, they are Malaysians, since their pioneer store started out in Malaysia.




Case no 5: Big Apple Donuts



To those (obviously living under a shell) who are clueless on how Big Apple is related to "International", well, Big Apple is actually a nickname for New York City. When someone says "I am going to the Big Apple!" it means they are going to New York. When someone says "I am going to Big Apple Donut!" means they are going to a donut parlour that originated from New York......NOT!






Yes, Big Apple is one of our very own made-in-Malaysia product as well. It was a big hit when it first launched because the business idea was so unique! (Besides, Dunkin Donuts which is quite crappy, no offence). Big Apple offered a wide variety of donuts in assorted flavours which made a perfect party favour! There were queues at every Big Apple outlet in Malaysia. It was happening....until, Indonesian donut brand J.Co came into Malaysia and there was a big argument between the two donut chains because Big Apple donuts look EXACTLY like J.Co donuts....Malaysia boleh (at copying that is)! I am not sure what happened between those two but they are both still around (though shorter queues these days). In fact, Krispy Creme also entered the market a couple years ago and now there's just too many donut stores around.




Case no 6: Ireland's Potato


This is a new player in the market, I was there just today and the food is pretty decent. What attracted me was it's name because well, I guess I am a sucker for the "International Appeal" and the fact that I am part Irish may contribute to that factor. Anyway, this is a local company and they made reference to how the Irish loves their potato so much in their stores...for example, they said there are two things you do not joke about in Ireland: Marriage and Potato. I have never heard of this saying but well, they do have a sense of humor and a pretty Irish appeal! It looks like it will do well with it's branding but perhaps, they need a revamping of their website #justsaying.

So there you go, those are just a few examples I managed to compile so far based on my observations. If you have other relevant examples, please feel free to contribute in the comment section. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment